Nepal Medical College (NMC) is situated at Attarkhel of Jorpati Village Development Committee, in Kathmandu, about 11 km. northeast of Kathmandu city. It lies at the foot hill of a mound. It has a quiet and tranquil environment, required of a medical college and a teaching hospital. The Gokarna hillock with pine trees, about half a kilometer away on the north, the Gokarna Safari Park across Bagmati river about one kilometer in the east, the terraces with trees encircling the NMC campus on the west, the NMC campus which comprises the college and Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital (NMCTH), has access to the main road through its main entrance on the southwest.
The NMC campus houses the academic buildings, library, female student and male student hostels and Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital (NMCTH). The college has departments of Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical pharmacology, Clinical Physiology, Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Human Anatomy, Medical Microbiology and Pathology that are required for the first two academic years of the MBBS curriculum. The departments of Anesthesiology, Dental, Dermatology, Emergency, Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Otorhinolaryngology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology and Surgery undertake teaching of medical students in their respective wards and out patients departments during the rest of the period of four and a half year MBBS program in addition to providing health care services to patients from their departments at NMCTH on all working days.
A full-fledged clinical health laboratory, radiology, operation theaters and casualty services, ICU, CCU, NICU, Haemodialysis service, ambulance service provide round the clock health care service. Echocardiography, Holter, TMT, Gastroendoscopy, Colonoscopy, Bronchoscopy, Ultrasonography and Pulmonary Function Test facilities are available on a regular basis. Specific investigations related to Biochemistry, Hematology, Microbiology and Pathology are available at the respective departments that are well manned and equipped for carrying out academic, research and health services.
Regular micro bus services plying on different routes and connect NMC with other parts of the city together with taxis which are available for the transport of patients to and from NMCTH from the early dawn to late at night.
MISSION OF NMC
The mission set by Nepal Medical College (NMC) is to educate human resources for health who are competent and have caring and compassionate behaviour for rendering preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative health care services to the people and at the same time keep themselves updated with the latest trends in medical and health sciences education by self-enquiring minds of biomedical, sociocultural and epidemiological scientific research.
VISION OF NMC
- Sole Nepalese undertaking.
- A self reliant health institute which shall impart medical education including other health sciences education of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels to the daughters and sons of the “global community” in general and to the daughters and sons of Nepal in particular.
- Provide health care services to the people from its tertiary care Nepal Medical College Teaching hospital as well as from community satellite health care centers.
- Perform biomedical sociocultural and epidemiological scientific research.
- Become an institute of Medical Education and Health Sciences Education, which should ultimately be upgraded into a deemed Technical University of Medical and Health Sciences of international repute.
GOAL OF NMC
The goal of Nepal Medical College is to earn itself the name of international fame by imparting quality education to the learners of medical and health sciences education, develop competent human resources for health who shall provide quality health care services to the people of Nepal in particular and the people of the “global community” in general.
OBJECTIVES OF NMC
The objectives of Nepal Medical College are:
- Conduct undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels of medical education programs by embarking upon latest trends in medical education.
- Undertake undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels of programs in different disciplines of Health Sciences education.
- Provide quality tertiary health care services from Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital and Sub-specialty Health Care and Research Centers.
- Provide general health services from community satellite health centers.
- Conduct continuing education programs.
- Carry out biomedical, sociocultural and epidemiological scientific research.
- Improve the health status of the people of Nepal by bringing in an impact on the health profile of the district where it is established and the country as a whole.
- Develop links with national and international universities/ institutions/ colleges/ hospitals/ organizations/ societies/ clubs/ foundations/ philanthropists and individuals in relation to conducting undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels of academic programs/ providing health care/ performing research/ exchanging faculty/ developing infrastructure/ acquiring equipments/ collecting endowments/ exchanging students / providing social services and overall achievement for the development and progress of Medical and Health Sciences Education and Health Care Service in Nepal.
- Become a self reliant academic institution of par excellence for the graduate, post-graduate and doctoral level studies in Medical and Health Sciences Education and attain the status of a deemed technical university of medical and health sciences of international repute.
PURPOSE OF NMC
The purpose of establishing Nepal Medical College was to “sow” the “seed” of self-reliance by the Nepalese professionals in setting up a medical college and its hospital, the first of its kind in Nepal with one hundred percent initiative taken by the Nepalese, of the Nepalese and for the Nepalese. This sets an example to the “Daughters and Sons of Nepal” to be motivated to undertake initiative in establishing similar institutions on their own in future for the cause of human resources development in health in order to give continuity to health sciences education, health care service and scientific research.
Nepal Medical College, established by the Nepalese of the Nepalese for the Nepalese is DEDICATED to the PEOPLE OF NEPAL.
MOTTO OF NMC
Nepal Medical College believes that a medical student must receive quality education by acquiring medical education based on the scientific truth, possess psychomotor skill required to perform competencies of a medical graduate and demonstrate benevolent, compassionate and empathetic behavior expected of the medical profession. During the period that one undertakes the MBBS course of study, one must be exposed to suitable learning experiences in a congenial environment with modern technologies for understanding the subject matters and also be aware of doing research, an essential part of the medical profession, that contributes to the growth of scientific knowledge. Upon the achievement of quality education augmented with the elementary know-how on research, the medical graduate becomes confident to provide health services with confidence. Adhering to these principles, NMC believes that quality Health care service is only possible when education is supplemented with research. Hence, “Education - Research - Service”, has been enshrined to be the Motto of NMC.